Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Freak

Sometimes, I feel like I missed the boat. There are things I think everyone else does one way and I do another - silly, unimportant 'norms' that leave me feeling like a freak. For example, I...

...shoot pool like a lefty even though I'm right-handed.

...never learned to hold my pencil correctly.

...CANNOT nurse my child in a chair that has arms. Folding or kitchen chairs only. Plus I have to hold him in an odd position that is difficult to explain but easy to see - it's awkward.

...don't really know how to swim. I mean, I wouldn't drown, but I don't swim well. At all.

...rarely shave above the knee.

...clearly have a habit of sharing too much information.

...don't have a regular schedule for keeping my house clean.

...have never gotten into The Office or any reality TV show.

...wear the same colors of makeup today as I did ten years ago - and have never considered changing them.

It doesn't make any sense, but I feel insecure about these oddities. Like people are looking at me thinking, "Doesn't she know that every other soul on the planet hangs clothes facing the other way in the closet?" And I am genuinely afraid that everyone (who is 'everyone,' anyway?) will find out how backwards (or should it be 'backward?') I am.

So that's why I'm posting this stuff out in cyberspace for anyone and 'everyone' to read, because better you find out about it now than be blindsided by the weirdness next time we're together in person.

Please tell me I'm not the only freak out there.

11 comments:

Amy said...

If you're odd, then I'm just as odd as you are since I can relate to every single thing except the nursing...and I just might be the same on that one, too; we'll just have to wait and see...

[Morgan] said...

Gosh, you are a freak.
Ha Ha Ha.
Then I would be a freak as well.
I never shave above the knee. Unless of course I'm go swimming,(which I don't really do correctly either, the doggie paddle was the only move I ever learned!) and then I get major razor burn on my thighs because they are in shock from being hair-free.
Do people really have a schedule for their house cleaning? I wish.
And it's backward. At least I think so, it actually bugs me when people say backwards or forwards, and also, it's a driver license, there is no S after driver...
ok, see you are not the only freak!
Thanks for the laugh, you always make me smile!
Oh and, I've been wearing the same make up since I was a freshman in high school. Never really thought about it, until now...

Jill said...

I THOUGHT you were wearing "blushing beige" again!! JK You are so NOT a freak, and I never learned how to swim and I don't shave above my knees--I don't shave my legs at all, and that may sound weird but get this!!....right after I had Kirsten all my leg hair fell off and never, (yes, never!) grew back! Maybe, it's a blessing for having gone through that nine times!

Theresa said...

the only reason you might not have gotten into the office or any other reality TV show is because you've probably never sat down and watched a couple episodes,... you're not really missing anything until you start watching them and then you get addicted,... better not do it. :) I rarely shave above the knee either,... don't know that there's any point to it since I can't grow much hair on my legs up there or it's all blond,...and obviously I have the same habit of sharing too much info as well. :) but you're right,... everything else makes you a freak,.. ;) j/k. trust me,.. you're not the only freak out there. and what about all those mom's who never quite figure out how to nurse their kids and just switch to formula cause it's easier,.. or because their kid was fed in the hospital through a tube for a couple of days before coming home so the kid figured out that they don't have to work so hard to get food in the first place so they refuse to nurse. :) Sounds to me like you're doing just fine. :)

talitha said...

Over half of those apply to me, as well. I'll just let you have fun guessing which ones.

Mwah.

Hillary said...

Everyone is a freak. Don't worry about it; you're in good company. :)

Angie said...

Does anyone shave above the knee when they're not going swimming? I mean, seriously. I never do!

I don't think you should feel insecure for the things that make you who you are. We all love you BECAUSE of these oddities (and others, which are also sweet and fun and make YOU) not IN SPITE of them. You are awesome! And even if no one else did love you - which is SO not the case - I still fight for the fact that you should find peace being who you are. Don't change for "them." Be you, and love it.

Kirsty said...

Oh, you are not the only one. I'm one too!

Amanda said...

Other than playing pool, I'm right there with you on EVERYTHING! I guess we can be freaks together.

Markemilius said...

Ya, you're weird. I don't apply to any of those in the least.

Alicia said...

I'm not sure how it is that you have a baby, exist in a much smaller body than mine, and come from a different part of the country....

...and still manage to have the same MIND as me :)

I thought I was the only one who couldn't swim all that well.

I thought I was the only one whose razor didn't even know what a thigh was.

I thought I was the only one who went into a panic at the thought of "natural beige, #720" becoming discontinued.

I thought I was alone. Until I met you. I {heart} your blog. And your mind.

May you come up with more and more posts that make me feel like we might've been made from the same mold (though my goo managed to end up in the XL mold)...